These days it’s more important than ever to be kind but it can feel harder than ever to pay this kindness forward. Whereas a couple of months ago you could have bought a friend a coffee or perhaps a slice of cake for someone behind you in a cafe queue, as we stay home our opportunities to be generous feel ever more limited.
What does it mean to pay it forward?
To put it simply, paying it forward happens when instead of accepting or repaying an act of kindness from another person, you do a good deed for someone else.
To inspire you to pay it forward today, we’ve put together a handy list of simple things you can do to make a difference to those around you.
- Apply to volunteer for the NHS and help out vulnerable people in your community.
- Call a friend, family member or local neighbour who you know lives alone and might be feeling a little lonely during lockdown.
- Are you missing having cuddles with your favourite little loved one? Order a personalised gift to keep them entertained while they stay home.
- The next time you head out to your local supermarket, offer to pick up some essential groceries for a vulnerable neighbour.
- Make someone’s day and organise a virtual party to celebrate a birthday or special occasion. Read our how-to guide for throwing a virtual baby shower for inspiration.
- Register to volunteer with the Samaritans and be a listening ear for those whose mental health has deteriorated during the pandemic.
- Are you missing your morning flat white or Friday night pint? Purchase a voucher to your favourite local business that you can use after lockdown to keep them afloat until they can reopen.
- Do you know a parent who is currently juggling working from home and caring for their children? Send them a Milestone Card to encourage them to celebrate their smaller wins during lockdown.
- If you can, donate to The Trussell Trust to help provide life-saving food supplies to those most in need during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- If you have access to any PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) that you do not personally need, you can donate that to NHS staff and other key workers to keep them safe.
We hope that you find something in these suggestions that inspires you to spread some kindness today. You can share your Pay It Forward Pledge with us to receive a special discount on your next purchase today and share your pledge on social media to encourage others around you to do a good deed. Remember, during these uncertain times, the most important person you need to be kind to is yourself so don’t forget to take a moment for some self care today.
My 1st Years x